Happy Earth Day!
Sometime last year, I saw a list of top ways that commercial real estate professionals can make energy efficiency and sustainability a priority was published by Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International. Many of their ideas also apply to multi-family buildings, but a few of them maybe not so much. Here is most of their ideas in no particular order with a few substitutions.
1. Measure and Manage – track energy and water consumption and perform benchmarking.
2. Audit Yourself – analyze your rates and consumption.
3. Get the Word Out – resident awareness program and energy savings tips.
4. Lighting retrofits.
5. Go Low Flow.
6. Recycle old Electronics.
7. Install occupancy sensors and daylight sensors.
8. Install Smart Irrigation.
9. Encourage Eco-Friendly Transportation.
10. Replace pool motors.
You can see their original list here:
What do you think? Do you have other ideas that should be on the list for multi-family?