Getting your head around Energy Management is a difficult process. A good place to start is with a corporate policy to build consesus and guidance around. Policy can be described as a statement of commitment that contains procedures and protocols that can be used by senior management officers when guiding a Portfolio Wide Energy Management Policy. Another purpose of policy is to provide good administrative guidance and also guide the portfolio on the plan of action to be taken when certain things happen. Below is a good framework to help you get started and also tailor it to your unique needs.
Portfolio Energy Policy Example
XXX is committed to Energy Management leadership in all of its business activities. XXX has had long-standing corporate policies of providing a safe and healthful workplace, protecting the environment, and conserving energy and natural resources. They have served the environment and our business well over the years and provide the foundation for the following corporate policy objectives:
- Provide a safe and healthful workplace and ensure that personnel are properly trained and have appropriate safety and emergency equipment.
- Be an environmentally responsible neighbor in the communities where we operate, and act promptly and responsibly to correct incidents or conditions that endanger health, safety or the environment. Report them to authorities promptly and inform affected parties as appropriate.
- Conserve natural resources by reusing and recycling materials, purchasing recycled materials, and using recyclable packaging and other materials.
- Develop, manufacture and market products that are safe for their intended use, efficient in their use of energy, protective of the environment.
- Use development processes that do not adversely affect the environment, including developing and improving operations and technologies to minimize waste; prevent air, water, and other pollution; minimize health and safety risks; and dispose of waste safely and responsibly.
- Ensure the responsible use of energy throughout our portfolio, including conserving energy, improving energy efficiency, and giving preference to renewable over nonrenewable energy sources when feasible.
- Participate in efforts to improve environmental protection and understanding around the world and share appropriate pollution prevention technology, knowledge and methods.
- Utilize products, services and expertise around the world to assist in the development of solutions to environmental problems.
- Meet or exceed all applicable government requirements and voluntary requirements to which XXX subscribes. Set and adhere to stringent requirements of our own no matter where in the US the company does business.
- Strive to continually improve XXX’s environmental management system and performance, and periodically issue progress reports to the general public.
- Conduct rigorous audits and self-assessments of XXX’s compliance with this policy, measure progress of XXX’s environmental affairs performance, and report periodically to the Board of Directors.
Every employee and every contractor on XXX premises is expected to follow this policy and to report any environmental, health or safety concern to XXX management. Property Managers are expected to take prompt action.